Eco - House
The eco-house was the recipient of The Greening Barbados Innovation Award for Green Expo’ 2003. It was an exhibition originally put together by SAGE - the Sustainable Architects @ Green Expo’. SAGE was a collaboration of 5 local architects from different firms led by Neil Hutchinson of Studio Blue Architects Inc.
The exhibit presented how we can live in a more environmentally friendly manner and transform our new and existing buildings to reduce their impact on the earth’s resources. The concepts are demonstrated in a scale model of an eco-house, together with display boards showcasing the various environmental principles. Studio Blue continues to display this exhibit at events to raise awareness on Environmental issues in architecture.
The eco-house is divided into the 4 basic elements of “Earth, Wind, Water and Fire”. These four categories cover topics ranging from …..
- Earth - Sustainably forested woods available regionally; environmentally friendly materials including insulating paint that keeps your building cool; the potential for grass roofs and the associated benefits to the microclimate, eco-system and thermal control of buildings
- Wind - Designing your building to be naturally ventilated with the cooling Trade Winds; orientation and devices to allow air flow
- Water - Rainwater Harvesting; Water conservation and re-use through water saving devices; waste water reduction through low flush toilets and composting toilets
- Fire - Information on how to get the most out of the suns energy through the use of solar panels and photovoltaic panels to generate hot water and electricity respectively
StageSpeculative / Conceptual 2003.
Size2000 sq. ft. / 186 sq. m.
- Design allows natural ventilation and day lighting
- Patio provides shading to main house
- Large roof overhangs provide solar shading
- Rainwater Harvesting for irrigation & re-use
- Water Conservation - Low/dual flush toilets & Compost Toilet
- Solar Water Heater
- Sustainable materials
- Trees and planting provide shade and food
- Waste Water Treatment